Nike Free Run 5.0 Review – Are They Worth It?
There are many factors that go into picking your next running shoe. You have to consider things like the construction material, overall cost, the fit, and style choices. One potential running shoe you may consider is the Nike Free Run 5.0.
This article is going to cover the main features of this particular shoe. We will also cover the main pros and cons associated with it and attempt to offer a final overview based on the features covered.
Top Features of the Nike Free Run 5.0
1: Flexible and Lightweight Design
The Nike Free Run 5.0 shoes are designed to be flexible and extremely lightweight. They feature a unique support system known as FlyWire that runs throughout the laces and the side of the shoes. As you tie them, the fly wires constrict and pull both sides of the shoe to securely anchor your foot.
2: Protective Bottom – Suitable for Any Environment
The bottom of the shoe can bend a great deal and offers a large amount of traction that is suitable for many different environments. It is also thick enough to provide ample protection from a wide assortment of environmental hazards like sharp rocks, broken glass, and more.
3: Breathable Mesh Material
As for the top half, it is constructed of a mesh material that is very breathable making this an ideal choice for warmer environments. The shoe also features no-sew overlays throughout for added durability and support without adding additional weight. The mesh construction continues on both sides of the shoe with air holes throughout for additional air circulation.
4: Improved Overall Fit
The inside of the shoe has been completely renovated and no longer uses a separate sock liner. This is meant to further reduce the weight of the shoe and help improve the overall fit due to its single bootie design.
5: Great Insole Cushioning
One of the most amazing features is the Nike Free Phyllite insole that doubles as an outsole. It provides just the right amount of cushion for running without too much additional weight. The Nike Free Run 5.0 comes in 20 different styles.
Pros of Nike Free Run 5.0
- Lightweight: The biggest advantage to Nike Free Run 5.0 shoes is that they are exceptionally lightweight.
- Colors Abound: Another huge benefit is that there are 20 different styles to choose from.
- Flexibility: The soles of these shoes are remarkably flexible and support the natural movement of your feet.
- Beat the Heat: The mesh design of these shoes is perfect for the hot summer months since it encourages heat dissipation.
- Easy Returns: Many of the available styles are eligible for easy return if you are not satisfied with your purchase.
Cons of Nike Free Run 5.0
- Arch Support: Perhaps the biggest drawback to Nike Free Run 5.0 shoes is the lack of arch support.
- Price: With a purchase price that can go as high as $299,94, these shoes are one of the most expensive options available.
- Scuffs: The white layer at the bottom and side of the shoes is prone to scratching and scuffing from abrasive surfaces like concrete.
- Sizing: Many sizes are not available in several styles, and it appears that these shoes are not available in wide
- FlyWire Elasticity: Due to its stretchy nature, the flywire material tends to lose its elasticity with time. This can create issues where the shoe is not as tight as it used to be.
The Bottom Line of Nike Free Run 5.0 – Are They Worth Buying?
Nike Free Run 5.0 shoes are designed to be the lightest footwear you can find. With their unique Flywire technology, they securely anchor your feet by wrapping and pulling both sides of the shoe together as you lace your shoes.
The flexibility doesn’t just stop with the Flywire technology. The sole of the shoe is designed to support a maximum range of movement and can bend almost 180 degrees with ease. This is great for those who prefer the feeling of running barefoot.
The shoes are designed with the summer heat in mind. The mesh material is very breathable, and both sides of the shoes have air holes spaced throughout to help keep your feet cool during workouts. Unfortunately, this means that these shoes may not be the best option for colder climates where snow is a concern as water can easily leak in.
Another potential downside is the lack of support for the arch area. This can be particularly problematic for users with flat feet since it does nothing to help correct imbalances in that area. On the plus side, the heel of the shoes is much more secure and provides a great deal of support.
In terms of style, you are sure to find an option that suits your fancy with 20 different patterns to choose from. Unfortunately, those of you with wide feet are likely out of luck since there are no wide options available.
Overall, the Nike Free Run 5.0 is a great shoe worth trying out for yourself. They are very lightweight, flexible, and made from durable materials. They also have a convenient return program if you are not satisfied with your purchase.
Putting It All Together
The Nike Free Run 5.0 shoes have a lot going for them. They are very lightweight, have a durable sole, and come in many different styles. The unique Flywire technology is one of the main reasons they are such a comfortable shoe that almost feels like you’re wearing nothing at all.
With their top mesh construction, they are perfect for hot summer months and help keep your feet cool. Take your time browsing the 20 different styles and pick the one that best suits your needs. Once you’ve made your purchase, feel free to share your thoughts about this particular shoe with us.